Thursday, June 14, 2012

To Flea or Not to Flea ?

Soooo, I had this bright idea last week to gather up all of my older inventory and head on up to the flea market. It's been several years since my last stint and I figured that a little extra cash wouldn't hurt. Once I got all the merchandise loaded, I then had to cram in 2 tables and an EZ-up. Let me tell ya' folks, there's nothing EZ about putting it up. I can get the darned thing all stretched out fine, it's just snapping those upper corner brackets into place that make me crazy ! I also had to gather up bags, a notebook and a calculator...I'm mathematically challenged so don't judge. Get a good night's sleep because if you want a decent spot you'll have to get up before the rooster crows. I think I rolled out of bed around 7:30 am and after all the typical morning hub-bub of getting dressed, make up and coffee making ,it was time to go. Nowadays getting there early isn't a factor, it's trying to find a spot that's not already reserved...REALLY ? Half of those folks don't even show up , how fair is that ? After arriving,searching with bad eyes for an unclaimed spot, and finally setting up, all there was left to do was drink my coffee and wait... Wait for the candle lovers to come rushing my way, over-turning tables and pushing each other out of the way to get their favorite scents from their favorite candle lady and buying hundreds of dollars worth of beautiful hand crafted waxed goods...oh wait, that's just my fantasy ! But instead I waited and waited and waited and zzzzzzzzz.... The entire morning was filled with lookie loos,be backs and guys looking for tools. If I had a dollar for every time I heard someone tell me that "they have so many candles already and they don't know what to do with them", well I wouldn't have to ever do the flea market again...ever ! After 4 hours of fun and folly I decided to pack it up and head home. I didn't quite break the bank but I did manage to sell a few treasures and have a little something for the coin purse.This whole experience has proved to me that trade shows,consignment and wholesale accounts have completely spoiled me rotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment